Sunday, July 24, 2016

When I'm lost after I finish a book. . .

After a Book is finished I get a little lost. Part of me is still shocked that I somehow haven't exploded after hitting the publish button on the computer! I find myself staring blankly at the book on different sites remembering everything that went into it and having that moment of both doubt and excitement. But I think that comes with everything that you put out there of yourself. You would think after publishing three other paperbacks that it would get easier. Ha! That's a big fat no! I hear whispers of worry about how it will be taken by those that read it, but that's what I have my amazing husband for. He has been my rock--and annoyance at times--when I start to freak out. He grounds me and gives me positive thoughts when my mind gets too cluttered from worry. I think everyone needs that person to smack the sense back into you when you are freaking out or when your head begins to get too big from the accomplishment. Just one good smack should do it. As long as it's with love. :)

Some writers jump right on another project while others take a breather. Well, I'm the kind that takes ten steps back (after being smacked, of course) to find my focus again. I mean, I've just written my heart on God knows how many pages and unless I'm going to keep with the story I'm writing (a sequel) then it's best to get some space or else my books will follow the same path and I don't want that. I want something different from each book I write.


Granted, I did writer The Pulse Trilogy so they were written back to back. But in the case with Guardian, A Fated Pairing I took a step back because I wanted something different and boy did it shift. I find Guardian to be a grittier book and I love it! It reads differently then the Pulse Trilogy because I stepped back. Gave my work a little space before starting. Hell, I also gave it a lot of space when I finished the first draft. Good things come to those who wait and work hard.


But now that I have finished and published Nightmares And Remedies I found myself searching a little for things to do.


That is until the other day.


I hadn't wanted to write a word until the day before yesterday. I opened up an old e-mail account that I check once in a blue moon and found an e-mail about doing Camp NaNoWriMo in July. It's basically a write as much as you can (until you reach your personal goal) in the month of July. And I don't know what happened but suddenly I started to actually consider it. Yeah, I only had 8 days left, but it could be fun. It doesn't need to be anything my readers are ever going to see. This could be just for me. Heck, I could write ANYTING! Not like I couldn't before, but this changed things because I suddenly was placed into a Camp group and had supporters and a goal.


After figuring out what I was going to write I ended up writing out 15K w
ords and I'm still going strong.

Another thing that helps to get me refocused it reading. The moment you finish a project you should be picking up a book to read. That stack of 10 books that's been calling your name since you started writing still might not look appealing but you should at least grab one and read two chapters. Which I did. That was another yesterday accomplishment. Again, I had found a purpose and with it the spark I needed to get back on my feet.

It's different every time I finish a story, but no matter what I always find my wa
y back to it. Even if I have to persuade myself by buying that beautiful book at the store or having my husband read out loud to me. So that all of you know, my sweetie pie has a lovely voice and reads very well. ;) But regardless of what I do, at the end of the day Writing is part of who I am. It's in my DNA. I might wander a bit, but I always find my way back.

Brenda Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment